A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.1.1dev:
- Merged updated emulation core from WinUAE 2.5.0beta23.
- Gamepad button “left trigger” toggles auto-fire, GUI message is displayed when auto-fire mode is toggled.
- New option hard_drive_x_file_system to specify file system handler, for instance path to SmartFilesystem.
- New option hard_drive_x_controller to specify HD controller.
- New option hard_drive_x_type to force RDB mode if RDB cannot be autodetected (unpartitioned/blank disk image).
- (Launcher) hard_drive_x can be http(s) URL and the HD will be downloaded on demand and used like a local file. URL must end with a “normal file name”.
- (Launcher) Use wxversion.select to ensure 2.8 is used if also older versions of wxPython are installed.
A new development version has been released. Changes in FS-UAE 2.1.0dev:
- Merged updated emulation core from WinUAE 2.5.0beta21.
- FS-UAE mman updated to work more like the WinUAE implementation.
- Ejecting CD images works now, enabled menu option.
- Added auto-fire toggle mechanism to F12 menu.
- Auto-fire support, new boolean options joystick_port_x_autofire.
- Added support for Amiga mouse wheel and middle mouse button.
- (Launcher) Added button to configure auto-fire per joystick port.
This if the first version in the new 2.1.x development series. Some nice and requested features (auto-fire, mouse wheel) are finally supported 🙂 Emulation core is updated from the latest available code from WinUAE / Toni Wilen, bringing with it some nice emulation accuracy improvements!
Because of the code merge, and because the mman module has been rewritten, there is a greater chance than usual that something does not work. -But it looks good in tests. To get a mman behavior which mirrors the WinUAE code more closely, malloc is used to “reserve” memory on non-Windows platforms, and this relies on over-commit features in the Linux/Mac kernels where the memory is not actually allocated before the pages are accessed (not tested on FreeBSD yet). This is a bit experimental, so let me know if it crashes 😉
I am pleased to announce version 2.0.1 of FS-UAE, the multi-platform Amiga emulator for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and FreeBSD! FS-UAE 2.0 can be downloaded here.
Notable changes since version 1.2 include:
- No need to edit config files any more! A user-friendly configuration frontend, FS-UAE Launcher, is included.
- Emulation core updated to WinUAE2.4.2beta1.
- Many bug fixes and performance improvements.
- Support OpenGL shaders for post-processing special effects.
- Added theming infrastructure. Downloadable themes are available.
- GUI translation for several languages (English, French, German, Italian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, and Serbian).
- Added keyboard emulation for CD32 gamepad.
- Support for hard drive images > 4GB.
- JIT compilation is now available on some platforms.
- Windows installer is now available, and the Windows version does no longer require any other software packages to be installed.
- Binaries are created for many more Linux distributions, and download repositories are available.
- FS-UAE now compiles and runs on Mac OS X 10.5 (both x86 and PPC) and FreeBSD.
- And many more changes (see the Changelog for details).
Please see the release notes for more information about this release and a detailed list of changes. Also, many thanks to translators, contributors, and everyone who has been testing the development versions and reported bugs and issues!
A list of contributors is available. If you wish to donate to FS-UAE development, I have set up a donation page via PayPal.
FS-UAE Launcher Database
FS-UAE Launcher currently supports using a game database to automatically find games you have by scanning your directories for known disk images and/or WHDLoad games, but it is currently a bit difficult for people to contribute to this database -this needs to be much easier!
You should vote here if you would like to see this feature developed further -or if you think this is a waste of time!
Current features include:
- Scan a list of directories and look for known files
- Found games are automatically added to the game list in the launcher.
- Show cover, title and screenshots for known games.
- Floppy-based games in ADF and IPF format are supported
- Files are identified and found by checksum, not name, so you organize your files as you see fit, and don’t need to constantly rename files according to DAT files or similar.
- WHDLoad games are supported -WHDLoad games can be zipped or unzipped, the launcher can find the individual files on disk (or in archives) and re-assemble the WHDLoad game on launch.
- Files inside zip archives are also indexes, and are temporarily extracted on demand.
Thousands of game entries have been automatically created by an algorithm looking at (among other sources) the TOSEC dat files to get a starting point. But of course, not all these configurations work out of the box. Special configuration may be needed. So to get a quality database, humans must test and improve the entries.
I propose a system where the launcher automatically synchronizes game entries from a central server, and where anyone can make modifications to game entries in the FS-UAE Launcher GUI, register an account on the server, and have FS-UAE Launcher submit the fixes to the central server so everyone will benefit from the improvements. This includes specifying custom configuration (if needed) and submitting images.
- The central server will keep history for all changes, so changes can be easily reverted.
- The list of changes will be used to download incremental updates to the database.
- It will be possible to have local overrides for specific configuration values and/or images.
- Images can be downloaded on demand (and cached), so the launcher does not need to download a huge data set to get started.
- This is mainly a configuration database, and it is not intenteded to compete with Hall Of Light or Lemon Amiga for collecting detailed metadata. A minimal set of metadata (year, publisher, etc) is of course relevant, but for extended information, links til HOL/LemonAmiga will be associated with entries.
The database includes many variations of the same games (for instance multiple cracked versions from the TOSEC set). I propose some kind of voting/rating/like system, so only the most popular variants are showed in the launcher by default if you have many variants available (configurable by the user, of course).
The license for the database should be a quite liberal license (a Creative Commons variant?) to allow other projects to use the information as well. It does not make sense (IMO) to build such a database and then try to limit the usability.
It only makes sense to build infrastructure for this if people are interested in contributing.
You should vote if you would like to see this feature developed (and also perhaps subscribe to the thread if you want to follow the discussion)
A beta version of FS-UAE 2.0 can now be downloaded. A user-friendly configuration GUI (FS-UAE Launcher) is now included with FS-UAE, so you don’t have to edit config files any more 🙂
A new development version has been released. Changes in version 2.0.0beta1:
- Don’t quit on parse error when parsing viewport option.
- (Launcher) Show notification about new versions in the same series (stable or devel) as the installed version.
- (Launcher) Added information panel to toolbar, currently used to show update notifications.
- (Launcher) Fix path issue on Windows causing kickstarts to be scanned on every startup.
- (Launcher) Updated downloadable WHDLoad version to 17.1.
- (Launcher) Added tooltips to main window tabs.
- (Launcher) Simplified default scan search path to just FS-UAE dir.
- (Launcher) Implicitly add CD-ROM drive if CD image list is non-empty.
- (Launcher) Automatically add CDs in drives to image list if list is empty.
- (Launcher) Fixed bug when saving configurations.
- (Launcher) Fixed type-ahead search bug in configuration list.
Please test this release (and following betas, if any) and report problems – especially serious problems!
Repository paths have change a bit, as i wanted to by able to have non-fs-uae-specific repositories for future projects, and better to change this now than later, before more people are affected. Development packages for Ubuntu is now located in:
And repositories managed by OpenSUSE build service is now located here:
Sorry for the inconvenience. I don’t plan to change this again (except that stable packages will be published in corresponding stable repositories).
A few days ago, FS-UAE finally got it’s own sub-forum over at the English Amiga Board. This forum is the main channel for support and discussions related to features in development.
Visit and bookmark http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122 🙂
A new development version has been released. Changes in version 1.3.31:
- (Launcher) Use native toolbar control on Mac.
- (Launcher) More consistent use of browse for file/folder icons.
- (Launcher) Automatically select CD32 Gamepad mode when selecting CD32 model.
- (Launcher) Recalculate default devices after editing joystick settings.
- (Launcher) Contract paths also when using multi-select.
- (Launcher) Media swap lists are now editable.
- (Launcher) Use proper list views for media swap lists.
- (Launcher) Replace other list controls with new implementation.
- (Launcher) Hide “WHDLoad Arguments” control.
- (Launcher) Updated translations: it [Speedvicio].
A new development version has been released. Changes in version 1.3.30:
- (Launcher) New list control implementation for configurations list.
- (Launcher) You can now type in the config list to jump to items.
- (Launcher) Configuration list items are prefixed with an icon.
- (Launcher) New setup page for importing kickstarts when starting the launcher for the first time.
- (Launcher) Automatically scan for rom changes in main Kickstarts folder on startup.
- (Launcher) Fixed backspace behaviour in config name text box.
- (Launcher) Windows installer: explicitly put registry keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes instead of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
A new development version has been released. Changes in version 1.3.29:
- Implemented fs_application_exe_path for Unix-like systems.
- Data files (“share”) are now also searched relative to fs-uae executable (executabledir/share and executabledir/../share) before checking the default system locations, and no longer searched for under cwd.
- Fixed problem where A key press could mysteriously appear on OS X.
- Fixed bug with shader passes being multiplied on mode switch.
- Link with -headerpad_max_install_names on OS X [Tobias Netzel].
- (Launcher) Saving configurations is now possible.
- (Launcher) Added new “default” input device options.
- (Launcher) Contract paths with $BASE or $HOME if possible.
- (Launcher) Automatically scan local config files (.fs-uae) on startup.
- (Launcher) Net play panel must be enabled with custom setting netplay_feature = 1 (temporary for 2.0 series).
- (Launcher) New icon to distinguish the launcher from FS-UAE.
As noted earlier, repository and downloads paths are now changed. Also, the launcher database must be re-scanned for this version (But from now on, I intend to add code to perform database upgrades automatically when the database changes).