This page will help you compile, install and run FS-UAE, FS-UAE Arcade and FS-UAE Launcher. Please note that unless you have experience compiling software, I strongly recommend you download pre-built versions instead.
The instructions given on this page are general instructions for building FS-UAE. Also see Compiling on Windows for more specific information.
The following software is needed to compile FS-UAE from the source code archive:
- A bourne-compatible shell
- GNU or BSD make
- GCC compiler suite with C/C++ support (mingw on Windows) or clang/clang++.
- git – if you want to checkout the development repository), or
- tar, gzip – to untar the source tarballs
- zip – needed to compile
fs-uae.datat the end of the compilation process
You need the following libraries (with headers / development files):
- SDL 2.0
- libintl (from gettext)
- OpenAL or OpenAL Soft – the latter is recommended for most systems.
- freetype – strictly speaking, this library isn’t yet used, so it is possible to remove it from configure.ac.
If you have checkout out the git repository, you first need to run the bootstrap script (this additionally requires autoconf, automake, libtool) – skip this step if you have extracted a source tarball:
Then you need to configure the source:
To compile the program simply run make:
The resulting program is placed in the root directory of the project, and you can run it directly without installing by running:
Running fs-uae locally like this works fine – but you need to have the source root directory as the current working directory when running it like this without installation.
To install fs-uae, you can run make install
Compiling FS-UAE Launcher
FS-UAE Launcher is written in pure Python, but depends on several Python extensions in addition to Python itself:
- Python 3.3 or newer.
- setuptools – for resource loading.
- python-lhafile – for .lha file support (optional).
I recommend extracting the source code in a directory parallel to the fs-uae source directory, i.e:
You can run FS-UAE Launcher from the source directory without installing it:
Installing FS-UAE Launcher
python setup.py install make install